Habitat for Humanity Kenya (HFH Kenya) is a national non-profit organization that begun its operations in 1982 as an affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International. The affiliation is guided by a National Affiliation Agreement (NAA) and a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). HFH Kenya’s vision is: “A nation where every family has a decent place to live.” Mission: “Seeking to put God’s love into action, Habitat for Humanity Kenya brings people together to build homes, communities and hope”. Our overarching goal is: “Enabling low income families access decent and affordable shelter”.
Reporting to the Senior Program Manager, WASH Coordinator is responsible for leading in the design, implementation and monitoring of Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Infrastructure interventions within HFHK. The purpose of the position is to support the improvement of access to sustainable WASH services and over all wellbeing of communities. In carrying out his/her work, the WASH Coordinator interacts with other technical specialist in HFHK, Africa Hub, HFHI global, partner organizations and communities across Kenya that HFHK serves.
DUTIES/AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- In coordination with the National Director and the Snr Program Manager, support on WASH business development in HFHK.
- Conduct technical assessments and data analysis of WASH services.
- Plan and organize capacity building programs for community water management, water quality surveillance and response planning, sanitation, and hygiene promotion
- Support the design and implementation of WASH infrastructure related activities within HFHK.
- Ensure program efficiency and delivery in particular referring to cost effective and innovative solutions to accelerate trend of access with analysis of potential and sector environment.
- Develop Bill of Quantities (BoQs), and tender documents when necessary.
- Prepare and launch tender bidding procedure for contractor(s).
- Supervise the engineering works related to WASH projects in HFHK
- Inspect and certify all WASH Infrastructure before contractors are paid when necessary.
- Provide technical expertise related to the planned WASH infrastructure works carried out by projects.
- Ensure that expenditures and budgets are well monitored, and activities are implemented and completed within budget and schedule.
- Ensure that all WASH infrastructure are within the acceptable sector and country standards.
- Ensure critical gaps in information, knowledge and understanding relating to water supply, water safety, water resource management and sanitation and hygiene promotion are recognized and addressed by stakeholders in the HFHK programs and partners
- Draw a capacity building plan and build capacity of HFHK staff on Water, Sanitation, & Hygiene (WASH) projects.
- Develop technical resources (e.g. standard operating procedures (SOPs), manuals) to guide HFHK’s WASH Infrastructure interventions, drawing from international best practices, along with field specific observations.
- Develop clear infrastructure monitoring tools (e.g., checklists).
- Participate and represent HFHK in WASH sector meetings.
- Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team to conduct project monitoring and evaluation of HFHK WASH projects.
- Document and manage the resources generated from WASH projects monitoring and evaluation for improving future program quality.
- Write WASH reports and submit to the Snr Program manager
- Perform other relevant tasks as assigned
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES / INDICATORS
- Quality oversight and implementation of WASH projects within HFHK
- Bachelor’s Degree in civil, Mechanical engineering, Geological Engineering or any other relevant discipline.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Negotiation and influence skills.
- Strong analytical, research and report writing skills as well as excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Independent, self-starter and creative
- Ability to work under minimum or no supervision
- Must be a team player and ready to work in and contribute to team building environment
- Team builder, appreciates cultural diversity and inclusion, safeguarding/ protection issues etc
- Computer literate with good presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 3 years’ experience in WASH infrastructure project (tender procedure, design, planning, implementation, budgeting, reporting, evaluation and monitoring) and good understanding of current WASH sector trends and indicators.
- Experience working with donors and understand donor requirements and how to meet them.
- A project management background with the ability to implement projects within budget and time frame
- Practical experience in managing WASH projects
- Understanding of other disciplines like Electrical, Mechanical, Piping, Instrumentation, Electronics & Communication from site activities point of view.
- Knowledge and understanding of WASH best practices, monitoring and evaluation systems and procedures
- Experience in supporting programme staff and partners to work with communities in a sensitive and participatory manner.
- Able to use AutoCAD and ArcGIS.
- Ability to work long and odd hours, including weekends
- High levels of integrity
How to Apply
To apply, email your application (Cover letter & CV as one PDF Document) with salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and position applied for in the subject line.
The closing date for receiving applications is no later than end of day on Wednesday 5th October 2022.
HFH Kenya is an equal opportunities employer and will never ask for funds as part of the recruitment process. Habitat for Humanity has no tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Report fraud at heal.habitat.org